Translator

Thursday, October 18, 2012

drunks and catholics

I can understand why Religion is very common. Have you ever noticed that during major disasters that the phone lines are jammed? Many people want the fleeting moments they think they have left to make peace such as saying "I love you" to someone dear to them. Or perhaps have a religious figure at their side to help them find peace before death. On the other hand, there are those who in their realization of "I'm not going back home" that they have not found peace and feel regret or fear. I'm not a stranger to loss and death as much I would like to be. I get asked quite a bit that as medic or from working in a hospital if I've been there when someone died. Not many, but enough to leave an impression on me. It's not the moment that bothers me, because usually at the point the person is unconscious. Honestly, it's the moments of realization of "I'm not going back home" that I remember most. But in truth does it really matter what we believe in when the end is near? Probably not. I think it's simply how we carry out each day that bring us peace in the end.

 I remember this one really old dude who was like 90 years old while I was doing my internships. He probably wasn't going home but he was satisfied with his life. He told me lots of stories about his travels. He was happy even near the end of his life. He said that his faith was in loving his family and he's lived that way all his life. God or not, he was at peace.

My beliefs in a higher being do not matter. As long as I don't hurt anyone else for my beliefs then let me be. We will all feel pain even if we think we're safe in our minds. Even the highest believers in God endure some amount of pain. Whether or not that god is physical such as money or omnipresent, we will all feel pain. We're all just here and confused about what goes on after we die. The way I see it, religion can be a guideline for how you live your life until you reach that end point. Perhaps drunks and Catholics are not so different, to some they find comfort in heaven and to others to just vanish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment